Technical data function
Cours-Saint-Michel, Sint Michielswarande 60, 1040 Etterbeek
Possibility of 75 % work from home on the basis of a team agreement
Function Class : 16+
Function Code : Data Gov & Protect Expert
Work Schedule : 37 hours/week
Your role & work environment
Setting the standards for worldwide data governance
ING is rapidly transforming from a traditional bank into a next-generation digital bank, where everything revolves around data and smart data intelligence. The gathering, usage, management and governance of data is of the highest importance – a cornerstone in our transformation. We are creating a well-governed data lake that ensures data availability, common understanding of business terms, where data quality is measured and issues are remediated, and where data is traceable and controlled in line with regulations: an ambitious implementation based on leading technology. The tribe you will be working in is responsible for developing the standards that will be rolled out worldwide. In your role, you will have the opportunity to strategically steer and contribute to this development and roll-out. It goes without saying that this position entails a great deal of collaboration and careful stakeholder management – not only with tribes within the Belgian organization, but also with people within the ING Group as a whole.
We are looking for an enthusiastic Data Governance Specialist with a real passion for data, to ensure that our new generation data lake is optimally aligned with business requirements and terminology. You will work in a multidisciplinary team ('squad') with other data management specialists (in Data Quality, Data Lineage, Data Protection), analysts & engineers in the Data Management tribe to deliver great business outcome.
As a Data Governance Specialist, you will become one of the right-hands of our Chief Data Officer and the following (regulatory) data obligations will be under your responsibility :
- Build a Data Governance roadmap towards compliance and involving new departments (“Tribes”) in scope
- Scope, gap analysis, action plan and coordination for Data Management Standards and Key Control Testing
- Create Data Usage Agreements (“DUA”) and obtain the sign-off of the business stakeholders
- Create reporting on the data roadmap
- Create a periodical dashboard for steering and decision making in executive boards (“Data Councils”)
- Support the Safe Business Officer (SBO) and the CDO in resolving KCT / NFR issues
- Support the BCBS 239 scope
Next to the above responsibilities, you’ll also contribute to the following topics :
- Collaborate with business data owners/data stewards of the bank’s assets/domains to understand their data, their data needs and business context;
- Establish what data will be supplied from the Data Lake to consumers;
- Help the other squads in the elaboration of requirements on data quality, data lineage, data privacy, data security, and other relevant aspects of the data
- Match the local and global definitions to the requirements of data users, data owners and other stakeholders;
- Continuously take initiative to improve the way of working and the collaboration within your squad;
- Guide and coach others in the field of data management, such as data stewards in the business domains, and evangelize the organization to become ‘data minded’;
- Be a sparring partner for IT specialists to onboard them on the importance of the Data Governance area
A colleague with a talent for taking it on and making it happen, enthusiasm for helping others to be successful and a knack for always being a step ahead. In other words, you strive to bring fresh ideas to life and embrace challenges in a fast changing and complex environment. You are a naturally collaborative person who listens and invests in others to achieve common goals. You love to challenge the status quo and are eager to propose creative solutions to problems.
As a Data Governance Specialist, you will also need:
- Broad knowledge and practical experience with projects related to use of data, data quality, data lineage, data security, data privacy, data lifecycle management, data issue remediation and other data governance practices;
- Industry knowledge on data related government regulatory requirements (GDPR, BCBS 239 …);
- Hands-on person who is not afraid to set up collaborations, make decisions, set priorities and put them into action in a dynamic environment;
- Critical thinker that is not afraid to challenge the business and move the organization to a new maturity level in data driven decision making;
- Experience with quickly learning about and familiarizing yourself with different business domains;
- Experience as a trusted advisor for Data Governance policies related questions (the “go-to data person”);
- Ability to mentor/teach/explain regulations subject matter to colleagues;
- Good project / time management, and organizational skills;
- Good attention to details;
- Able to multi-task, and to work under pressure with conflicting deadlines;
- Ability to work in teams as well as work independently;
- Ability to bring innovation and automation to operationalize some tasks and focus on strategic improvements;
- Creativity; the ability to come up with original and innovative ideas and solutions, to adopt points of view outside the usual parameters.
- The ability to ask further with the ambition to deeply understand other perspectives and views in order to generate support.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing, to be able to align with various stakeholders;
- Able to speak fluent English (Dutch and French are a plus);
- Hands-on SQL, databases experience, data warehouse experience is a plus;
- Experience with data modeling techniques and data models development is a plus;
- Experience with core banking, finance or risk processes is an added value.
A clear purpose, a unique offer and a range of flexible compensation and other benefits:
- Personal growth & challenging work with endless opportunities to realise your ambitions
- An informal, dynamic environment with innovative colleagues supporting your endeavors’
- A progressive and agile way of working, where new ideas are valued ahead of convention
A hybrid way of working
• We give the autonomy to our employees to let them organize their work in a flexible way that suits best for them while ensuring business continuity, customer service and employee wellbeing.
Furthermore, within the Data Management department, you can count on a range of opportunities to invest in your personal and professional growth with:
- A salary tailored to your qualities and experience
- Flexible working hours and the possibility to work at home
- A reimbursement for travel expenses
- Pension scheme
- A flexible reward plan
- Personal growth and challenging work with endless possibilities to realize your ambitions
- An informal working environment with innovative colleagues who strive for the very best
- Progressive way of working according to the Agile method, so that new ideas come to life
We redefine banking. What about you?
We’re on a journey that’s centred around our customers, powered by technology and driven by smart, determined people. Our customers feel our people are empowering them to stay a step ahead in life and in business. We’re proud of that